Friday, January 21, 2011

My Name...All Zentangled Up

I just posted my Zentangles a couple of hours ago, and I got some great comments from CZT's (Certified Zentangle Trainer) already. I just love getting comments. One, it makes me feel special, of course. Also it gives me a chance (and valid reason) to visit others' blog.

I'll get to the point...I checked out Sue Clark's Tangle Ink Art and found another challenge. Did I mention that I love challenges? Anyway, this challenge was one she did of Linda Farmer of tanglepatterns.com. This challenge was to "Zentangle Your Name" 

You see, the actual Zentangle kit and process has patterns with names. Let me say, this is the first time I have used an "official" Zentangle pattern, or at least knowingly. Honestly, the process of using a specific pattern that was developed by someone else, and named, is a little bit hard for me to get used to. It feels like I'm cheating, or on some level copyright infringement. 

I really wonder where the line is between copying these patterns and copyright issues. A lot of the "official" patterns are patterns and variation of patterns found for centuries of art, textiles and in nature. 

On a certain level, it feels rather uncomfortable to "copy" a pattern that someone else has done, to the "t" anyway. I'm not saying it is wrong, especially in the sense that this is a personal thing, not really professional. The question becomes valid if someone was to use these patterns in a professional piece of work. Even if the pattern could be proved to be found in nature, could the artist get sued for using a theme that was constructed by someone else? I know, Tisk Tisk...Way to get stressed over something that may be nothing.

I may look at the official designs for inspiration from time to time, but in the future I think I will just "wing-it". Unless, of course, there is another challenge like this...I like challenges, what?!? It's just that I feel process is more enjoyable, creative, and relaxing when I'm not trying to "copy" a design pattern. I also feels that it shows in the final product...even though this is about the process not the product. But hey, I want to show you something pretty. Is there anything wrong with that? (Don't answer that, rhetorical question ;)

Now that I am done thinking out-loud, here is my name in Zentangle form. 

4 comments:

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and giving me a link back to this post… I really, really want to examine and give some parameters to this drawing thing (will talk it over with my copyright lawyer since I need to discuss some of my drawings that I use for my porcelain decal pieces anyway). I know there are things such as "you cannot copyright a spiral" but when it comes to specific patterns and use within a piece of art that it within the art becomes copyrightable. The specific final piece… Does that make sense? And laws change, and there are loopholes - all craziness… Never thought I would be involved in a copyright infringement case, but happy I took the right steps from the beginning "just incase". Make something your own is key!

Really appreciate your feedback! Keep in touch!

Laura McDowell said...

Yes that helps a lot. Makes me feel a bit more relaxed :) There is no way two people can make the same finished product with this method, even if the parts of the whole are the same, or similar.

I can sleep tonight :) Thank you!

LeslieRahye said...

Very cool!I tangled my name inthe Orb challenge and really loved exploring tangles tha I had not attempted before!

Phine said...

Your name looks great!
Love the flow of the tangles…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...